Friday, March 18, 2011

Fabulous Food Friday


I have been cooking quite a bit lately. Although it has been challenging with three little ones and the "witching hour". I have been trying to find quick yet tasty meals to make, and this tangerine orange spicy beef recipe I adapted (when do I not?) definitely fit the bill.  The great thing about this was that I had all of the ingredients on hand except for the meat. Well, that and of course the tangerine!

Ingredients
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 pound flank steak or tri-tip, cut in thin strips on the bias
  • 2 tablespoons dry sherry
  • 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 tablespoon chili sauce
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed tangerine juice
  • 3 tablespoons canola oil
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
  • 3 scallions, chopped
  • 1/4 tangerine, zested
  • 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds

Directions

In a resealable plastic bag combine the soy sauce and cornstarch and mix well. Add beef, cover, and let marinate for 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
Whisk together the sherry, hoisin, honey, soy sauce, chili sauce and tangerine juice until completely combined.
In large pan or wok, heat oil on high. Add the ginger and beef and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Then add sauce mixture and cook for another 2 minutes on medium heat until sauce thickens. Serve on warm platter, with scallions, tangerine zest and sesame seeds.

I found the recipe here. The only things I really changed were I used an orange instead of a tangerine, and I left out the sherry and sesame seeds. Theo really liked it! He doesn't get too excited very often about my cooking (in his defense, he doesn't get excited about much!) but he really liked this recipe. It was super easy. The longest part was chopping up the meat. I served it with rice, corn casserole, and another great broccoli recipe from Barefoot Contessa that you can find here.

A must try and I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

No comments: