Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Kindergarten Bound!!

Carter's last day of preschool was today! I can't believe my firstborn is going to be a kindergartener in three short months. The moms and I were laughing today because we all said we were going to cry but not for sentimental reasons :)

I've been really struggling with my role as a mother lately. I am so exhausted that all I want to do is let my kids watch t.v. all day just so I can get a little bit of a break. I've gotten lazy in my parenting because I am just that tired. I feel like I used to teach Carter things all the time but since Isaiah has come along, and since Olivia has demanded much of my attention the past couple of months, that I've really let myself get into a rut of not teaching him anymore. So I am so thankful for the wonderful teacher (and helpers) Carter had this past year. He has made so much progress in such a short amount of time. I will be eternally grateful to his teacher for all that she taught him. His desire to learn has skyrocketed since starting preschool and I have absolutely no doubt that he is ready for kindergarten.

His class made "All about me" books and I laughed and cried as I read it. The book basically showed the progress they made over the school year. The pages that I thought were the best were these:

In case you can't see it: The first one is a self-portrait. He's definitely come a long way!
 This one is what he wants to be when he grows up. In October, he wanted to be Diego. Six months later, he wants to be a doctor and a teacher. Thank the Lord for that! I don't know how I would explain to him when he went off to college that he couldn't major in cartoons!! :)

I wish every class would do this. It brought so much joy to my heart seeing how far my big guy has come.

On a different and sad note....I found out today that the mom of one of Carter's classmates passed away this past Friday. She had cancer but I could tell she was fighting it until the end. My heart so grieves for this family. They had two very young daughters and to think they will grow up without their mother is more than my heart can take. It made me hug my kids tighter today, use a kinder voice with them, and let them have an indoor picnic and not worry about the ketchup stains on our picnic blanket. I really feel God speaking to me to cherish this time I have with my kids. Even though the days are often exhausting, often hillarious, these are the only days I have with them. What will they remember about me when I'm gone? Please pray for this family. I can not even fathom the loss they feel. I'm praying God wraps His mighty arms around them.

1 comment:

ruslinga said...

Give yourself a break Jaime. You're an awesome mom with 3 very small kids. They're fabulous kids b/c of YOU! I'll be praying for the family with the huge loss, it makes me so sad. That is the 2nd story that I've heard about a young mother passing away in the last week.