Saturday, December 5, 2009

In my daughter's eyes


Thursday we got all bundled up and ventured out to MOPS. But as I looked at Olivia sitting on the couch in her bright pink fleece bunting outfit Aunt Laney made, I was struck my how blue her eyes still are! One of my preceptors in nurse practitioner school told me that by four months, you should be able to tell what color a baby's eyes will be. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and praying that her eyes will stay blue. I guess this is so important to me because I have blue eyes and when I look into her eyes, I see so much of myself. I often think of the Martina McBride song, "In my daughter's eyes" when I look into my sweet baby girl's blue eyes. This song is extra special to me because my mom had this song played for me at our wedding reception. So not only does it make me think of Olivia, it makes me think of my mom and the incredible bond moms and daughters share.

In my daughter's eyes I am a hero
I am strong and wise and I know no fear
But the truth is plain to see
She was sent to rescue me
I see who I wanna be
In my daughter's eyes

In my daughter's eyes everyone is equal
Darkness turns to light and the
world is at peace
This miracle God gave to me gives me
strength when I am weak
I find reason to believe
In my daughter's eyes

And when she wraps her hand
around my finger
Oh it puts a smile in my heart
Everything becomes a little clearer
I realize what life is all about

It's hangin' on when your heart
has had enough
It's giving more when you feel like giving up
I've seen the light
It's in my daughter's eyes

In my daughter's eyes I can see the future
A reflection of who I am and what will be
Though she'll grow and someday leave
Maybe raise a family
When I'm gone I hope you see how happy
she made me
For I'll be there
In my daughter's eyes