Friday, April 29, 2011

Fabulous Food Friday: Southern favorites

I checked out the Pioneer Woman's cookbook from the library last week. I have been following her on and off (mostly off honestly) for about a year. I love how she writes and love her recipes and her sense of humor. So I tried out a couple of recipes and they were fabulous, greasy but fabulous!

Last night I made for the first time in my life chicken fried steak. Yummmmmm! I also made mashed potatoes and gravy, and fried asparagus. The asparagus recipe was from Paula Deen and I think she is right: everything really does taste better fried! I did leave out the step of coating it in the flour because I found it didn't help the cornmeal to stick on it. Also, I served it with Ranch dressing mixed with some Tone's instead of the creole mustard listed on the recipe. Click on the links and you'll find the recipes. They are delicious, but not for the faint of heart. There was so much grease all over my kitchen! I hardly ever fry foods but mainly because Theo doesn't really have an appreciation for Southern food since he's a Yankee and all. But I decided that since he is not big on helping my plan menus, that for at least one meal every couple of weeks, I'll make something Southern :)

No comments: