Thursday, May 28, 2009

Beach Boys (Part One)

Theo had the opportunity to go to Florida for a work-related class this month. Carter and I headed down there for Memorial Day weekend after making a pit stop in Baton Rouge to stay with my dad. I will admit, Friday night through Saturday afternoon, it rained the whole time and I was feeling a bit discouraged. For weeks, I had been anticipating how fun it would be to finally take Carter to the beach for the first time and was afraid my plans would be squashed. Saturday was not a good day for us. Carter was driving us both crazy and I’m sure that was largely in part because he was totally out of his element. Saturday night on our way out to dinner, we made an impromptu stop at a beach for less than 10 minutes and Carter freaked out. We didn’t have bathing suits or anything. We only wanted him to put his feet in real sand and he was not having it. I remember asking Theo was it wrong for me to be frustrated with Carter. Sunday, it was raining again so we went to church and by the time we were finished, it was beautiful outside. We seized the moment, drove down to the beach and spent three wonderful hours there. I managed to escape with only minimal sunburn and Carter did fine as long as we didn’t make him go in the water. Once I let my expectations go of how “perfect” this trip was going to be, I really started having fun and Carter did too.

Monday, we went to a smaller beach and again, Carter was a little leery of the water. But after about an hour there, he insisted we go for a ride in a kayak. A kayak of all things! The boy who didn’t want to go within 20 feet of the water wanted to ride in a kayak! So we all put on our life jackets and away we paddled. It was so much fun! After that, Carter was all about going in the water and didn’t want to get out. I’m amazed at how God even answers my little prayers. God knew how important this was for me to be able to experience this with our family and God allowed it to happen.

After Saturday, Carter has really done well. He’s a little wild at times but he’s a two year old BOY!!! Monday, I took him to the local science center. It was nothing to write home about but it entertained him for a little over an hour. We ate lunch at this smoothie/deli place, headed back to the room for a nap, and then hit the grocery store. We met up with some friends of ours who are here for the same class for dinner. Tuesday we went to the circle store, met up with friends, had lunch and went to a little water park. I mean water park as in spray fountains not big giganitic water slides. Carter was having fun until he collided with a girl and hit his head (his second head injury of the day. What can I say, the boy is clumsy like his momma!). Then he wanted no more of that water park.

I'll write more and post pictures of the rest of our trip later. It's late and I am soooooo looking forward to sleeping in my own bed sans Carter!

1 comment:

ruslinga said...

Those water parks can be dangerous! My niece did the same thing that Carter did at the one in Shreveport.